This weekend is a huge weekend for college and AAU hoops fans. It serves as the only evaluation period for college coaches in the month of July. It is the culmination of the AAU season with the famed Peach Jam tournament being played in North Augusta, SC — which wraps up the Nike EYBL circuit.
Many prospects will take advantage of this opportunity to play in front of college coaches by making a splash and upping their class rankings.
You can be sure that University of Memphis basketball coach Penny Hardaway and his staff will be present and attentive.
One prospect that the Tigers staff will be scouting this weekend is 5-star guard Nimari Burnett of Team Why Not — the same team as another Tiger prospect, Jalen Green.
The 6’3″ guard is averaging 20.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.2 assists per contest in the 13 games this AAU season. In addition, Burnett is shooting 32% from three.
Last month, Burnett was invited to participate in the U19 Mens World Cup Team Training Camp — though he ultimately did not make the team.
Burnett is from Chicago, but plays ball for Prolific Prep in Napa, Ca. Impressively, he led his team to The Grind Session National Championship Semi Finals. Burnett averaged 21.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 4.7 assists in 28 minutes per game as a junior in high school.
- Theater In College Hoops (Ep. 106)- Coach Talk, UMass Statues and Transfers
- Theater In College Hoops (Ep. 104)- Interview With Matt Moore-Alameda
- Theater In College Hoops (Ep. 103)- Interview With Mike Burgomaster & Transfer Talk
- Theater In College Hoops (Ep. 101)- Elite 8 recap & Final 4
- Theater In College Hoops (Ep. 100) – Recap Of The First Weekend, Apologies and Apologize and Hugs
Zak (@BarnBurnerBro) is a native Memphian who covers the Memphis Grizzlies, Tigers, and St. Louis Cardinals for The Barn. He spends his free time exploring breweries, restaurants, and leading the Ivan Rabb stan club.