In the inaugural episode of In the Can, the CHIEF talks two movies so intertwined they had to be broken down in one podcast: Tommy Wiseau’s The Room and James Franco’s The Disaster Artist. So hold on to your wallet-sized #FrancoBros pictures, say your “Hai Mark[s],” toss the ole pigskin around for a bit and CHECK IT:
(1:45) — INTRO — Background for the flicks
(3:02) — What is a “Cult Classic?”
- “Like a Cinderella team in the tournament…”
(4:29) — GENESIS of The Room and the Legend of Tommy Wiseau
- “If a vampire existed, it wouldn’t look like the ones in Twilight, it would look like Tommy Wiseau…”
(6:57) — Tommy and Greg “Sestosterone” Sestero seek the “Hollywood Dream”
- “Spoiler alert: they fail miserably…”
(8:22) — The Room
- “This movie is like the Michael Jordan of shitty movies…”
(9:58) — First Viewing of The Room, the Plot, Sex Scenes, and Dubbed Moans
- “The movie leads off with two hardcore sex scenes, absolutely soft-core porn-esque, rose petals, funk music…”
(14:18) — Cancer as an (abandoned) plot device (and in general)
(14:50) — The LIVE VIEWING of The Room with Cult (read: crazy-ass) Fans, and what the hell did I just experience?
- “You’re literally being pelted with plastic silverware while watching this movie…”
(18:22) — Who gets the most buckets in The Room?
(19:37) — What’s The BarnBurner’s rating of The Room?
(20:17) — The Disaster Artist
- “It’s incredibly meta that James Franco directs a real movie in which he plays a guy who directs his own movie…”
(21:22) — CHIEF’s Opinion of James Franco
(22:42) — Franco Bros. (James and Dave)
- “I think the Franco Bros. have a really weird vibe…”
(23:10) — Who got the most buckets in The Disaster Artist?
- “I’m not a big fan of movies about people making movies…”
(25:43) — 6th Man Award in The Disaster Artist?
- “Hell, they’re not hiring me to cast these things like they should…”
(27:07) — ZAC EFRON!!!
- “I’m buying a ton of Efron stock right now…”
(28:00) — CLIMAX (non-sexual) and Moral of the Story
- “Everyone kisses and makes up, aaannnnd curtain…”
(29:28) — What’s The BarnBurner’s rating of The Disaster Artist and AWARD NOMS
(31:37) — Seth Rogan and the problem with Rogan-ing
- “In fact, I think Rogan needs to stop Rogan-ing…”
(32:49) — Final ramblings, OUTRO featuring: The Room‘s love-making music
Follow me on Twitter @TheBarnChief.