This week’s DOPE or NOPE is a little hip-hop heavy, but what else would you expect from your boy Young Goat?
Kanye West’s new song “BED YEEZY SEASON 5” ft. The Dream- DOPE.
What would you say if I told you Kanye dropped a 17 minute song, the first music since his instant classic The Life of Pablo and his well documented incident that led him to cancel the rest of his Saint Pablo tour to seek medical help? It’s not that insane; Kanye is never scared to experiment with his music, and why should he? He is the most influential, most genius (or in his words, most imitated, grammy nominated, hotel accommodated, cheerleader prom dated) artist of our time. Oh you came here looking for Kanye hate? Get the fuck outta here.
I know I mentioned that the song was 17 minutes, which seems interesting, but wait, that’s not all!
So Kanye doesn’t actually have any vocals on this song. Only the featuring artist, The Dream, croons on this jam.
Okay so Kanye dropped a 17 minute song, that he has no vocals on. The Dream does all the vocals on a 17 minute song, but that’s kind of weird, because The Dream is usually only a feature verse, and most often the hook. Friends, that’s not the weird part. The Dream is covering the 2007 slow jam, “Bed” by J. Holiday, which isn’t that insane, because he actually wrote the lyrics to it.
This song is fucking dope. The dream is an amazing singer, and his voice matches perfectly for this slowed down sensual jam. I would pay any amount of money to hear the phone call where Kanye asked The Dream to let him produce a 17 minute cover of a song The Dream wrote in 2007 for someone else. Again, Kanye creates a work of genius, that is impossible to fully explain.
2 Chainz/Gucci Mane performing “Good Drank” on Fallon- DOPE
There’s a lot going on here. Best to summaries in bullet points (pew, pew, 21):
- 2 Chainz had the best rap resume of 2016 if you ask me. Multiple mixtapes, hottest features on some of the biggest songs (Chance the Rapper’s “No Problem” and Kanye’s “Champions”). Also, he was once recruited to play basketball for your University of Memphis Tigers.
- Looks like he’s rolling into 2017 with hopes to match his 2016. He has a new studio album Pretty Girls Like Trap Music coming soon, and to promote it, he’s playing the best song off of Hibachi for Lunch, “Good Drank” on Jimmy Fallon, with some help from Gucci Mane, a choir, and Fonzworth. Before we break down each party featured, let’s just start with 2 Chainz kills it. His verse is fire, his freestyle at the end is dope, and ending the performance sitting on top of the piano with a repeated impassioned, “Told ya’ll this is my year!” has me hype as hell for what he’s got in store.
- Gucci Mane had the 2nd biggest comeback of 2016. Who had the first? Gucci Mane’s teeth. Seriously, those are some great teeth on anybody, but they’re a true work of God (or more likely a dental surgeon) compared to 2008.
- THIS CHOIR IS DOPE AS HELL. They are singing the hook, traditionally sung by Quavo (1/3 of Migos, if you fucking hate Culture). First off, they sound great. Second off, they are so into sining rap lyrics in a choir voice. “She said that Molly give her thizz face/ Put that dick in her rib cage/ Whips out-Kunta Kinte/ Diamonds clear like Bombay/ Take your babies- No Harambe.” I would pay 2 times my yearly salary at The BarnBurner for them to play my next birthday party.
- I’m trying to stay calm, BUT YO WHERE THE FUCK HAS FONZWORTH BEEN AND DAMN HE’S STILL GOT THE FUCKING MOVES. DOES HE STILL ONLY DANCE FOR RAPPERS AND IF HE DOES WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!
The Walking Dead- Season 7B- NOPE
The Walking Dead sucks right now. It’s not fun. It’s terrible TV. The show has forgotten everything that made it successful. This section of the comics is arguably the best material, and they are fucking it up worse than a Grizzlies lottery pick (too soon?). With lots of rumblings that the main talent, specifically Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs, want out sooner than later, it seems apparent the show’s best days are long gone.
[banner image from https://images-production.global.ssl.fastly.net/uploads/posts/image/125556/kanye-west-yeezy-season-5-new-york-fashion-week.jpg?crop=top&fit=clip&h=500&w=698]